Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day of the Dreadmill

It's been cold and today's weather was a constant drizzle. Not exactly how I'd like to spend a long run. But since I definitely needed to get at least 10 miles in this weekend, I mentally prepared myself and drove to Equinox to run on the treadmill.

I told myself I would run 12 to 15 miles - basically whatever I could get in before my mother texted me to say that dinner was almost ready.

The Caumsett 50K is next Sunday, and you might remember from previous years that the course is a 5K loop. Yup, 10 times around a 5K loop. I'm a big fan of the 5K so this course actually makes me pretty happy. There's a porta-potty at 1.5 mile mark and I've learned from the past two years that I usually have to pee around 4.5 miles. Using this knowledge, I broke down a 12 mile run into the breaks I would probably take for the race.

I wanted to make sure that I wasn't starting off too quickly (um, yeah, might have run my first 5K loop in the 7 somethings last year), so I set the speed to 10 minute miles. It began to drive me crazy so I moved up to sub-9s and tweaked it back and forth for the first 5 miles. Then I attempted to go to the bathroom but some guy ran in before me, so I did a few shoulder presses.


I ran the next 3 miles alternating between 10 minute miles and sub-7 minute miles. I can easily run 8 miles outside, but I was really struggling on the treadmill. I was bored. My foot hurt. This idiot woman chose the freaking treadmill next to me even though there were twenty to choose from. Nothing interesting was on tv. I decided "Doses and Mimosas" could only be listened to so many times before I'd voluntarily blow out my own eardrums.

I finally got my bathroom break and got back on the dreadmill for another 4 miles. I ran the first 2.5 miles really slowly and listened to some Neon Indian. I ran most of the race listening to this awesome band last year and was able to get back into the groove imagining I was back on the course. I also played through ideal scenarios for my 5 year reunion that's coming up this June. I have a really bad habit of living things in my mind over and over before they actually happen and then the actual event always pales in comparison. Or ends up with me facing a police officer. Never a winning situation, which is why I don't like to get a heads up on events.

I felt fine at 10 miles but I got the text from my mom saying dinner would be soon and to be honest, as long as I reached 12 miles, I felt comfortable calling it a day. I switched over to my workout mix and pounded in the last 1.5 miles listening to "Jump" and "Starships" and running 6:53s.

check out that sweet tie-dye tech shirt
I'm pretty proud of myself for running 12 miles on a treadmill because I have never run that far on one. I'm also pretty sure I will never be running that far on one again. Show your love and consider donating $12 to my fundraising campaign for Rock the Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...