Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Half Marathon Training and Strava

Yesterday I started my half marathon training plan. I have attempted to train for a few races, but if I am being entirely honest, I haven't actually followed a plan since the 2011 NYC Marathon. So I pulled up the Runner's World Smart Coach app, filled in my race information and my time from the 2014 Area 13.1, and now I have a sweet little plan with minimal mileage that should prepare me for my 1/2 in June.

For the next few weeks, I am supposed to run 2 miles at 10 minute mile pace three times a week. Usually I would look at that and scoff at the lack of a workout and then I wouldn't even bother. But this time I am committed to actually training. Clearly I'm not going to be satisfied with a 2 mile run so I have decided to do these as warm-ups before CrossFit. We have a nice little loop around CrossFit Identity and I ran that three times before the WOD. I ran it a little faster than 10 minute mile pace because I just wanted to get my legs moving.


I recently signed myself up for Strava because I want something new to track my data. I used to use Running Ahead but that website isn't keeping up with Garmin connect changes. Annoying, but it's a new year so I'm okay with switching to a new platform. My only complaint so far is that I can't add existing mileage to my sneakers, which I can do on Running Ahead. Those red Brooks Adrenalines have like 2 plus 280 more miles on them.



Strava seems pretty easy to use. I connected my Garmin Forerunner 305 to Garmin Connect and synced my Garmin Connect to Strava. The Forerunner 305 is a pretty old model so it doesn't sync wirelessly, meaning that I have to connect it to my laptop to add any new runs to Garmin Connect/Strava.


The coolest thing I've noticed about Strava so far are these segments. Apparently there's something called the Floataway Quarter Mile (there's an office community called Floatway right near my box) and Strava automatically gave me some stats on my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...