Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Ugly Thing in the Freezer

I bought fresh ginger root the last time I went to the Fairway store and it's been sitting in my parents' refrigerator ever since. I transferred it to the freezer a few days ago to keep it fresh longer. This morning I decided to use my Ninja Master Prep to make a ginger protein smoothie. After some brief Internet research, I determined that the frozen pineapple chunks residing next to my father's candy bar collection would be a nice addition to the ginger root. Skim milk, natural flavored Designed Whey, honey, and ice would complete the ingredients list. 

So I head downstairs and attempt to peel the frozen ginger. Easier said than done. I had read that freezing the ginger would make it easier to peel, but maybe the words peel and grate were interchanged incorrectly. I wasn't going to bother to grate the ginger because I have a Ninja. That thing turns ice into snow! What do I need a grater for? After almost scraping off the top three layers of my finger (twice), I had 3g (about the size of a die) of ginger, 1/3 cup frozen pineapple chunks (46g), 4 oz of skim milk, 1 scoop of whey, and 10g of honey in the blender with 6 cubes of ice. I am pleasantly surprised by this tasty smoothie and it's only 196 calories. The ginger adds a little spiciness to the tart pineapple, and compliments the honey. 

I drink my smoothies and shakes out of BlenderBottle®. This container has a patented BlenderBall® whisk that helps mix your ingredients together. I use it in two ways - sometimes I pour protein powder and a liquid (milk, water, almond milk) into and shake, and sometimes I pour whatever I blended in the Ninja into it and the BlenderBall® keeps the smoothie frothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...