Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Salmon Dinner

I accidentally ate MSG during lunch so I guess Whole30 officially starts for me tomorrow. I really like Goya salad seasoning so I tossed some on some tuna in water and only read the ingredients afterwards. Turns out that monoammonium glutamate is just another name for MSG like flavor enhancers. Eff.

However, I refused to throw the baby out with the bathwater and made an epic trip to Fairway Market. After an appetizer of prosciutto and California apricots, I had a salmon fillet, white asparagus, and baby spinach cooked with Shitake mushrooms and onion.

the finished product
I worked from home today. I like to take my conference calls in towel turbans.
I went to Fairway at 5 PM - horrible decision. The place was packed. However, no one was near the fish department and a very kind young gentleman cut me a great fillet.


I looked up this recipe I saw on The Chew and made the salmon. I like my salmon a little more rare so next time I am going to cook the skin side for 4 minutes, but only cook the meat side for 1 - 2 minutes instead of the recommended 3 - 4 minutes. I swore I would NEVER watch The Chew because it replaced by beloved All My Children, but it's actually kind of interesting. It's like Rachel Ray, minus the God awfulness of Rachel Ray.


I bought white asparagus because there was no green asparagus. I prepared it the same way as I normally do. I place all of the asparagus in an oven-safe dish, drizzle olive oil over it, add salt and pepper, and squeeze half a lemon over it. Then I place it in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 10 minutes.

This is my fancy new knife set.
Would someone please come and clean up my kitchen?
I know I don't tend to write serious things on this blog, but I'm making a concerted effort to grow up a little this year. As my friend Chris likes to remind me, I'm not getting any younger. I'd like to one day get married and have children. Since that one day gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it, (the same one person in your bed EVERY DAY and small people who you are legally responsible for and don't go home at 3 PM?!), I've decided that being able to take care of myself is the first step to approaching adulthood. As today proves, I can cook. In theory, I can clean. I just don't like doing it. Maybe cooking and sometimes cleaning will encourage other better behaviors, such as exercise and monogamy.

Speaking of monogamy, on Saturday evening I was sort of asked (more like implicitly directed) to entertain someones roommate. Since I had a birthday party to make an appearance at up at Dorrian's, I asked him to accompany me. And we saw a bride.


I've asked this fine man to make sure that he shoots me if he ever sees or hears that I showed up to Dorrian's in a wedding gown. That girl just started off her marriage the worst way possible. Shame, shame on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...