Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, October 18, 2010

No More Running

I've decided to put a moratorium on running until November. My hypothesis is that the less running I do, the better I run.

In college I ran frequently, usually on a treadmill. I was running 8 or 9 minutes miles and lost my stamina for distance. In high school I ran all the time, outdoors and on the indoor track, and I averaged 9 minutes miles. I was even slower on a treadmill.

So when did I start running 7 minute miles? When I stopped running. I prefer to get my cardio from group fitness classes. I'll settle for a CrossRamp incline trainer in a pinch, but I loathe the treadmill and its monotony. (But I do support watching tv while walking on an incline, because if you're going to watch crap reality television you have to counterbalance its negative effects.)

I think all the running I've been doing has hurt my running performance. I never felt that extra push of adrenaline during this last race where my legs suddenly feel light and ready to propel me across the finish line. In truth, my legs kind of hurt.

I'm temporarily giving up running in favor of studio cycling and step aerobics. But I will be back on the River Run and Reservoir Track next month in case you want to say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...