Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Planting Fields Arboretum Woodland Trails

Today I decided to run over to the Planting Fields Arboretum. I haven't been there in years, but I used to volunteer there and it's absolutely beautiful. The last time I tried to run up there (and this was like five years ago) there was some misunderstanding about entrance fees and I didn't have any cash on me. To avoid this nonsense again I looked up their website before I left. That's when I found this map. Five miles of trails and I don't even have to get into the car?

I ran the three miles from my parents' house over to the arboretum on the road. The very nice man at the gate said runners do not have to pay the $8 car entrance fee (just as I had thought!) and I ran over to Coe Hall. I used to be a tour guide at this Tudor-style mansion. You're jealous, I know.

Obviously I neglected to bring the map I had found, but I ran along different paths (and through some grass) until I saw a marked entrance for the Beech Path trail. The Beech Path connects to the Oak Trail. Very pleasant running and not too many technical obstacles. At one point I got a little nervous that I was going to get lost so I pulled out my phone and brought up the map. This is why you should run with a smartphone if you're going to run alone. I realized I was quite close to the Boundary Road and kept going.

Once I exited the trail, I assumed that I was back on one of the arboretum's many lawns. That's when I saw a building that looked vaguely familiar. Then I realized I was standing behind a driving range. You can see on the Mill River Country Club marked on the trail map. Yeah, my family used to be members there. (Apparently we could no longer justify a full club membership so that I could eat a salad by the pool three times a year.) Now there I was in sweaty spandex covered in dirt. I waved to the staff and hightailed it down the driveway, back to the road, and back to my house.

This brings me to my next point - what shoes do you wear fo a multi-terrain run? I wore my Brooks Adrenaline 11s today. Sure, I would've preferred my trail sneakers on the trail but I was on the trail for less than a mile; I spent over 5 on roads. If I was planning on running all of the trails, I might suck it up and wear my trail shoes on the road. I've done it before and it's really not so bad. That's why Salomon created the XR Crossmax. One shoe from door to trail!

I covet these shoes. Size 8.5 please.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...