Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Preparing for Hurricane Irene

Today I fully intended to camp out on my couch, and then I received a text message inviting me to workout and then eat lunch at Piping. Well who am I to say no to a sweat sesh and lunch with a good friend? So I changed out of my Hurricane Chic attire and got ready to get my gym on.

Since I had finished my eighteen mile long run a mere fourteen hours earlier, I couldn't spend the entire time on cardio machines. I went through my collection of Oxygen magazines and decided upon a workout from the February 2011 issue. Now the article said to choose one muscle group and do the three sets of each exercise. I was feeling creative so I decided to do one set of each exercise in each muscle group.

After fifteen minutes on the treadmill of sprints and speedwalking at different inclines, I was sweaty enough to start lifting. I proceeded to do the following with 10 lbs weights:

15 reps stability ball bench press
15 reps stability ball chest flye
15 reps standing dumbbell press
15 reps stability ball bent-over flye
15 reps (each arm) one-arm overhead triceps extension
15 reps stability ball lying dumbbell extension
20 reps dumbbell front squat
12 reps (each leg) dumbbell lunge
20 reps dumbbell stiff-legged deadlift

Then I switched to 15 lbs weights:

15 reps dumbbell deadlift
15 reps bent over two-arm row

Before switching back to 10 lbs for:

15 reps seated hammer curl
15 reps standing reverse curl

I also did ten side-plank push ups, 20 of those things when you sit on your butt and raise your legs and twist with a medicine ball (12 lbs ball, twisting to each side counts as 1), and some good, old-fashioned weighted crunches.

I moved onto the abductor/adductor machine. I can still put 200 lbs on it and easily perform the abduction exercises, i.e. the outsides of my thighs are monsters. However, I went from being able to do 200 lbs for adduction to a measily 125 lbs. What this means is that I can no longer fully support my own weight while having sex standing up. This is an issue.

I did about 5 minutes on the bike before succumbing to intense boredom. This is when I pulled my shock and awe move and performed burpee push-ups with a BOSU with a nice little lift in between each rep. This attracts attention. It's also a good workout. Then I did cardio lunges off the BOSU for 1 minute. I finished up my light workout rolling around on the foam roller praying for mercy. I hate that thing but I know it's good for me.

After a shower, I enjoyed a delicious curry chicken salad and a pretty good Bloody Mary. Now I'm back in my Hurricane Chic awaiting the Storm of the Century.

In case something happens to me during Hurricane Irene,
I want to be found wearing this.

3 comments:

  1. Nice outfit...at least people will be able to spot you in the red jacket! Good for you for working out after running all those miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't realized how much I missed lifting until today. After I get my run in I just can't be bothered, but I'm going to try to do it more. I love Oxygen magazine for its easy to follow workout plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autocorrect's a b*tch? I have loosely interpreted this comment, and I agree: Performing moves on one leg forces your core to work harder to stabilize your body. You will get results and burn more calories.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...