Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

BUTI Fit with Christyn Johnson

My aunt is amazing and arranged for me to take a BUTI class with her personal trainer Christyn Johnson. This morning she put her yoga mat, a towel, bottled water, and me in the car and dropped us all off at Well Help Fitness in Addison, Texas. I met Christyn, put down my mat, and promptly got my ass kicked.

BUTI is a "female-empowerment lifestyle brand" whose "signature movement fuses yoga, tribal dance and plyometrics." Just so you know, BUTI was developed by a former stripper exotic dancer and the signature movements reflect the profession, but if shaking what God gave you equals results, twerk on.

Four of us attended today's class and two of the girls were really good - obviously regulars. We started in a modified lotus pose and warmed up before getting into downward dog. This class is basically yoga for people who are too ADHD for yoga. We jumped in downward dog, we rotated our hips, and we did something called sexy push-ups. From what I gather, sexy push-ups are the same thing as yoga push-ups, which is when you lower into chaturanga, lift up into up dog, push back into downward dog, and repeat. They're killer. I liked that most moves only had 5 reps because you can convince yourself to do 5 of just about anything.

Christyn and me at her studio Well Help Fitness after class
My favorite moves were the based on Warrior 1 and Warrior 2. After getting into those poses, we pulsed and twisted, and some girls may have shimmied but I'm not at that level. It took months for me to get a few dance moves down in Yves' dance fusion class and the shimmy still eludes me.

This entire class targeted my abs and they feel absolutely destroyed right now. I was already sore from the weighted sit-ups and box jumps this week, and this class was exactly what I needed to target my obliques and lower abdominal muscles. And my booty muscles are already sore. I hope that equals perky.

demonstrating my new moves for my mom

I'm pretty much the least sexy person ever, but Christyn and my classmates made me feel welcomed and didn't judge me by my lack of smooth coordination. I know my appeal has something to do with the fact that I look rather sweet and childlike but I'm extremely aggressive and I have a gravelly voice. These attributes don't help one bit when you're attempting to rotate your hips, so I just avoided the mirror and went to town.

Thank you Christyn for having me! I loved it! And if you live in the Dallas area, I highly recommend that you make it to a BUTI class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...