Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Training Bar


I felt like I had barely closed my eyes when my alarm went off this morning at 5. My second alarm went off at 5:15 and I swear only seconds had passed between the two. Despite the nagging voice in my head saying, "Get back in bed! Get back in bed!", I got dressed and headed towards the bus. I usually feel pretty damn good by the time I get to the office, but today I was definitely dragging.

"Why I am taking selfies in the bathroom at work before 6:30 AM?"
Once you show up to your office in your gym clothes, you really have to go to the gym. The 7 AM class had a good crowd this morning and I was pretty psyched with the WOD.

WOD:
Barbell Gymnastics
15 minutes to establish a 1RM of the following complex: Hang snatch + Behind the neck push-press + Snatch balance

Conditioning
AMRAP 12 mins:
Ascending ladder of:

3 Thrusters 95/65#
3 Box jumps 30/24″
3 C2B

6 Thrusters 95/65#
6 Box jumps 30/24″
6 C2B

9 Thrusters 95/65#
9 Box jumps 30/24″
9 C2B
….until 12 mins is over.

What Really Happened:

I very quickly realized that even the lady bar was too heavy for me to snatch balance. The girl behind me and I made eye contact and then walked across the room to grab training bars. Training bars are around 11 lbs (5KG) but I think folks tend to say they weigh 10 lbs. (I'm still confused about when to round when talking weight.) The training bar plus 25 lbs was perfect and I felt like I could actually execute the complex without worrying that I'd drop the bar on my neck. GAMECHANGER.

source

Today's conditioning was sick and I had a great time. Sometimes, when the conditions are right, I'll be working out and this feeling washes over me and I'm like, Wow. You are bad fucking ass. There is no direct correlation between my aptitude at the given workout and the feeling that I am just plain awesome. Cut-off sleeves and DMX, however, do appear to have an impact.

I did my thrusters with 35 lbs. Apparently everyone hates thrusters and I don't, so I'm thinking I might be doing them wrong. I used a 20 inch box for most of the workout because that was what was available until my last round. A guy near me was either a round ahead or behind me and I got to do 15 box jumps on the 24 inch. Big fan of the 24 inch box even though one of my knees made a funny noise.

look at those legs
I'm really over not being able to do a pull-up without bands. Today I used a blue and a red band, and if I'm being honest, I actually really needed them in order to get my chest to that bar. I will be able to do 5 unassisted chest to bar pull-ups by Christmas. Mark my words.

I posted 12 + 35 (35) and bands on the board, which means I completed three ascending rounds (12 reps each) and then I got through 15 thrusters, 15 box jumps, and 5 C2B using 35 lbs and my bands. Yes, I had to ask what weird math equations people were writing on the board. The great thing about CrossFit is everyone seems to love to answer questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...