Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Food Diaries

I took about three weeks off from tracking my food and it was one of the smartest things I've done all summer.

source
Logging your food is a proven way to reach your weight loss goals. Many respected fitness experts, including Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper, recommend keeping food diaries. Trainer Bob might be a vegan but he CrossFits at Brick so I trust his judgment, and I love me some Jillian even if she can't push press a 55# bar. There's been a lot of information circling about timing your eating and fitting your macros and eating for your body type, all of which requires some kind of food diary. It's a good habit to get into.

Unless it starts to drive you crazy.

source

Tracking everything that goes into your mouth isn't going to help you if you forget what it feels like to be hungry or satiated. I always felt hungry because I had lost that connection with my body so for a few weeks, I ate what I wanted when I wanted. Did I make the best food choices? Not always. But I also learned that I was eating much more for breakfast than I needed and probably not enough at dinner.

I fell into a familiar trap where I become obsessed with accuracy and start choosing packaged foods over fresh meals because I can track them more easily. When I think about this rationally, I realize how ridiculous it is to avoid a healthy homecooked meal or a paleo-delivery meal because I don't know how to exactly breakdown the ingredients. Now I feel like I have hit reset and I'm ready to start logging my meals on MyFitnessPal regularly. I just have to remember that a food diary can be good enough and not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...