Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

2011 Garden City Turkey Trot

Today I ran the 34th Garden City Turkey Trot. The five mile run started at 10 AM, allowing me to sleep to a normal hour. My mom and my sister accompanied chauffeured me to the race. Garden City is a mess on Thanksgiving morning, with people wandering around and roads blocked. Unless you can run to the race, I highly recommend coercing your family to drive you.

This year was the first year the Garden City Turkey Trot used a bib timing system allowing runners to get a net time instead of a just a gun time. This means that we cross a starting line and a finish line, and your time is the time it takes you to get from one to another. Last year runners were shoving each other to get closer to the front, so this is quite an improvement.

I tried to take it easy and run at a strong, but not overly taxing pace. Knowing the route really helped. I don't feel like I raced this race, but I'm happy with how I did.

I picked up the pace for the final mile. This is a lovely shot of me that I illegally screenshot found on the Internet.

Repping my Brooklyn Marathon shirt.
 My mom and sister found me after I used the porta-potty. I had been waiting in line for one when I got nervous that the race would start without me. I spent five miles really having to pee. My mom thought that this photo would be particularly fitting because she said I "spend a lot of time porta-potties." It's true. I always have to pee.


After the race we came home to sit on the couch. One of my family members (whom I may or may not be speaking to at this time) was in my bathroom, so I put off taking a shower to eat Italian meat products instead. It was delicious. (Good thing we have two more of these bad boys in the refrigerator.) 

My sister was appalled that I took a photo
of myself eating a container full of meat.
Then I took a long nice nap on the couch and played with my cats. Around 3:30 I finally took a shower so my family wouldn't have to smell me during dinner. We had a typical Thanksgiving feast.
A "personal-size" apple raspberry crumb pie from Jericho Cider Mill
I am thankful for a lot of things this Thanksgiving, including but not limited to Brooks running shoes, frozen golf balls, my sarcastic sister, overweight cats, and 34 year-olds who date younger girls.

Did you Turkey Trot this year? Post your run and photos below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...