Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Teddy's Piazza

Yesterday I was out at my parents' and I decided to go for a quick run. It was beautiful out and I felt like a complete sloth lounging about in my pajamas for most of the weekend. I didn't wake up until noon, which is extremely rare for me.

Mr. Mink is your typical boy. He ignores you when you want him
and refuses to get off of you when you're hungover and disinterested.
My pretty haircut was already a mess (I'm a sweaty sleeper I guess?) so I located my tie dye Mahlon Mayhem tech shirt, a pair of Nike shorts, and my red Adrenalines and hit the road. My original plan was to just run the block a few times, but I took of towards town instead. I figured I'd just run to the beach and back.
What I looked like after my hair appointment on Saturday.
I did some thinking about relationships and jealousy. New York can feel very small when everyone you meet seems to know someone you have already slept with went to school with, and there's all the baggage that goes with that. And then there's the former friends that I think I've put out of my mind for good, but then a stupid Facebook post can set me off. I don't like feeling angry, so I guess it's no surprise that my quick run went a bit farther than expected. (If you'd like to know more about this, shoot me a message, and I'll happily tell you about the psycho-b*tches I've cut out of my life. You can tell me I'm just being paranoid, and then I'll thank you for your reasonable outlook and healthy dose of perspective.)


I made a right onto South Main and headed towards Cove Neck. I don't know when I made the decision to run to Sagamore Hill, but it probably had something to do with the boy I've been seeing. My favorite president is Teddy Roosevelt, his favorite president is Teddy Roosevelt, I was thinking about him, Teddy Roosevelt lived at Sagamore Hill... You get my thought process here.


This was one of the hardest runs I've done in a while. I was dehydrated, my heart was beating out of my chest, and the mess of popped blisters on the bottom of my left foot started hurting something fierce. After 4.25 miles I decided to walk up the massive hill to Sagamore Hill. I hurt and I wanted a break. That's the nice thing about not being in training. Since no plan was dictating my distance, I could do what I wanted. On a related note, the new boy and I are talking about signing up for the KeyBank Vermont City Marathon over Memorial Day Weekend. It's okay. You can throw up a little in your mouth. I do it every time I think about how sickeningly sweet we've gotten.

I made myself start running again before I reached the top of the hill and then headed over toward's TR's house. This is one of my absolute favorite places in the world and it's less than 5 miles from my house.

I don't think it was officially open but I hopped up on the porch, or piazza as Teddy called it, and took a seat in a rocking chair.


This is the view. At one point you could see the water from three sides of the house. Now the trees block the view, but I still find it very pleasant.



This house now has the awesome water view. It's also three times the size of Sagamore Hill. I'd like to live there someday, so if you're thinking about proposing to me, plan ahead.


I had to start my run back because my parents were driving me and my massive amount of clean laundry back into the city. I honestly could have stayed in the rocking chair all night.


Running on Cove Road can be pretty dangerous because there are a lot of blind spots. I risk it for the scenery. I don't recommend doing this run after heavy rains or snow because the shoulders completely disappear and there's no where to go if a car starts barreling right towards you.


I took some walk breaks throughout the trip back. Did a little text messaging and set up some plans for the week. Once I hit nine miles, I was pretty checked out. I did run this distance between Vernon and my house though. Finish strong and all. 

Because finding a limousine in a middle school parking lot is standard. 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading jthis one. This is my favorite place to run, walk or just visit. I feel like I can sit in that rocking chair all night too. I used to bike there from the village to Teddy's Pretty often. I found that my legs wanted to give up half way up the hill. I also love that house... some day! New boy sounds sweet and any fan of Teddy is a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So listen to why I'm thinking of asking the new guy to marry me.

    My coffee maker burned out (who knew you had to clean a Keurig?) and he called up the manufacturer and had a new one sent to me for free. Then this morning, as I was lying in my bed add 10 minutes to my alarm clock every 10 minutes, he set up the new coffee maker.

    This and the potential to produce offspring that will one day be NCAA lacrosse players makes him an awesome catch. Oh, and he can cook. I can't even make toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, regarding Sagamore Hill - that hill is a major bitch. I am going to start doing hill repeats on it.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...