Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

P90X - Ab Ripper X and Shoulders & Arms DVDs

So guess who finally got to try P90X? I jumped out of bed this morning (okay, maybe I sprawled out covered in baby blankets for about twenty minutes), put on my workout clothes (my C9 shorts are getting a little snug, FYI), and went to grab my new yoga mat from my car. It was time to work my abs.

With great anticipation, I inserted the Ab Ripper X DVD into the player. I was so excited to see Tony Horton in action. He promised 349 moves of core crushing greatness. I couldn't do all 349. I suddenly realized how out of shape I have gotten since my peak fitness in February 2010. I could also feel my trail run abused quadriceps screaming for mercy. None of the moves on the Ab Ripper were new to me, but I did like the format. It's about 15 minutes long, gets straight to the point, and provides modified intensities. It would definitely deliver results.

Then I moved on to the hour-long Shoulders & Arms DVD. I haven't worked out my upper body in forever, but miraculously I still held my own. P90X Shoulders & Arms is five rounds (if you include the Bonus Round) of shoulders, biceps, then triceps exercises. You repeat each round. I really enjoyed this workout. My favorite exercise was the Deep Swimmer's Presses. This kid taught me how to do them in high school and I love them. You perform a bicep curl into a shoulder press, and then reverse the move to complete one rep.

The Two-Angle Shoulder Flys were also a good move, and flipping hard. I'm at my parents' house and I was able to rustle up a pair of 15 lb weights, which may have been a little heavy for this. You sit up straight on a chair (I went with the toy box) and perform one fly, then you lean over your legs and do your next fly. Everyone completes 16 flys. Of course I misunderstood the first round, and thought that 1 rep was one fly at each angle, and couldn't believe that I was supposed to complete 16. Turns out that would be 32. Oops.

I learned a new move today called Crouching Cohen Curls. I'm not very good at them yet, but you squat down, and put your elbows at the inside of your knees. Then you curl your biceps. I didn't use a mirror for this workout, so it was difficult to check my form. I'm trying to stop relying on mirrors so much, because 1. needing a mirror to workout is inconvenient and 2. I want to be more aware of my own body and muscles.

I am thrilled that I finally get to test out P90X after five years of watching (loving/obsessing over) the infomercials. I borrowed these DVDs, but I think I may become the proud owner of my own set in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...