Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reunited with Bonne

Bonne Marcus taught me everything I know about fitness. Before I met Bonne, I was a girl who spent 30 minutes on a treadmill five days a week and wondered why I didn't have any muscular definition in my upper body. I skipped regular meals and relied on six-packs of sugar-free Red Bull to get through the day. Then I discovered Bonne and group fitness. The very first class I went to (back in 2007) was Cardio Intervals. Today I had the great pleasure to take this wonderful class again with my wonderful friend.

Bonne now teaches at the Sid Jacobson Jewish Community Center in Roslyn, New York. The JCC has a beautiful Wellness Center that is available to its members, as well as the public for a fee. Us non-members can attend a group fitness class for $20. Bonne very nicely put me on the guest list.

So this morning my alarm goes off at 6:57 am and it takes me a moment to figure out what's going on. Do I have work? Which work? Where am I? Do I have to drive to Brooklyn? Are there children involved? Once I remember that I am getting up to go workout with Bonne, the biggest smile appears on my face and I go in search of an all black workout outfit. I need to look slim. I've put on 20 lbs. I'm kind of embarrassed.

I ate oatmeal and almond milk for breakfast (stay tuned for a post about breakfast choices in the near future), and head off to the JCC. It's conveniently located off of 25A and I arrive in plenty of time.

Bonne's classes are most importantly fun. I have never been unhappy in one or itching to leave early. If you're not enjoying yourself, it's more difficult to give 100% of your all. It's doable. I've done it. It's not pleasant. The next best thing about Bonne's classes are the variety. Bonne says she's ADHD when it comes to exercise, and this means that you get to use lots of great fitness toys. After a solid warm-up (I love marching. More people should march) we got on the step for some basic rights and basic lefts. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Step is the best thing that you can do to firm up your legs. All of your muscles are targeted from your calves to your inner and outer thighs. You can work your glutes and your core while working your legs from different angles. Step is great, and not offered nearly enough. Today we also used the BOSU, medicine balls (really cute little ones that I found much more manageable than the bigger balls of the same weight - keep the dirty jokes to yourselves), and resistance bands.

I had so much fun, and it was great to see Bonne. If you live near Roslyn, definitely check out Cardio Intervals on Thursday mornings and Super Sculpt on Tuesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...