Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Atlanta Pride Run 2014


Yesterday I ran the 2014 Atlanta Pride Run and Walk 5K. It was my first 5K race in 2014 and the only short distance I've raced since the Oyster Bay Thanksgiving Turkey Trot. I came in first in my age group and in 6th for women. My time was 23:41.20, not my fastest 5K time by any means, but it was hot, there were a lot of hills, and everyone was talking about how slowly they ran (even the sub-20 finishers.) I'm feeling good about my time. Even while I was running the race, I thought about how I needed to reset my expectations because I have never raced in Atlanta before.



The race was held in Piedmont Park and I live right there so I walked over. I was hoping there would be baggage check so I didn't have to run with my iPhone and keys but I was out of luck. I imagine baggage check is unnecessary when most participants drive to the race. Thankfully I had thought to wear my iFitness running belt.



We started a little late because the course needed to be cleared (of people, cars, geese?) and while I was waiting I heard a woman telling her friend that she hadn't run in months and that the last time she ran this race, she won her age group and now she felt the pressure to do it again. Oh honey, you are preaching to the choir. The 5K is both my favorite distance to race and my greatest nemesis. I expect to place in 5Ks, either in my age group or overall. I won my age group AND placed third in my first 5K and since then I've pressured myself to perform. I oddly don't feel this way about 4 milers but that might be because I don't expect much from NYRR races because there are 8 bajillion people participating and I stopped running them on principle after the marathon hurricane fiasco. My pride (no pun intended) is wrapped up in my 5K performance and even when I tell myself that I'm only running for fun and my time doesn't matter, I know that I'm not and it does. I've never gotten drunk before a 5K, stayed up all night before a 5K, or shown up ridiculously late and unprepared for a 5K. This time, however, I went to a book signing for Where the Hell Were Your Parents? in Carrollton, GA the night before and had a glass of wine, a margarita, and smoked half a pack of cigarettes (how else does one stay alert driving at night in western Georgia?) Since I used to smoke a pack a day and win these things, I wasn't too concerned and I honestly don't think it affected my performance.


During the run I saw a guy in a CrossFit Identity t-shirt and I was so excited. I chicked him, obviously, but waited for him to cross the finish line so I could subtly stalk him and ask if he was also a member. He said he was not and that he was wearing his friend's t-shirt. Then he pointed at his friend who turned out to be Sean from my 7AM WOD. I love Sean so I was very excited and Sean had been on vacation so I had missed him for the past week.


I think it's important to show support for Pride. Many people that I love are gay and running in Pride races is my way of showing that I care. I'm also in serious need of a new gay boyfriend who shares my love of inappropriate sexual innuendo, extremely short shorts, dick pics, and margaritas, so if you're in the Atlanta area and you're looking for a new straight girlfriend, we should discuss.

the new public pool at Piedmont Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...