Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, January 28, 2019

Knowing Science Stuff is Neat

This morning I woke up and decided it wasn't a good day for me to go to CrossFit. I was sore from yesterday's Strongman training and I burned my finger cooking last night. Heavy hang cleans were probably not going to help me feel better. I'm trying to remember that exercise is fun and that I enjoy it and no one makes me go to the gym, and I can take a day off when I want. I got a little restless by noon and decided to go for an easy run on the Beltline.


On Instagram Laurie Christine King recommended the Mind Pump Podcast episode on the thyroid. So I put on my sweet new wireless headphones (the Plantronics BackBeat FIT) and listened to the podcast during my 3 mile run. This was one of the best runs I've gone on in a long time. I felt strong and my turnover was pretty speedy. I saw my Garmin hit 8:30 min/mile pace and below. I also stop a ridiculous number of times to adjust my socks so my mile splits will never look as good as my actual run. Yes, I know I have a problem. I'm OCD about really weird things. I wish I were into cleaning things instead of adjusting things.


Last week we studied the endocrine system in my human anatomy and physiology class. The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine system. The podcast discussed the misdiagnosis of hyperthyroidism based on thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and T4 (thyroxine) levels AND I FUCKING KNEW WHAT THAT MEANT! I could basically recite the segment on cleaving iodide verbatim. I was really excited to have the opportunity to apply what I had read and studied to understanding a podcast. This just reinforces the content and will hopefully help me to do well on the upcoming exam.


It's crazy that human anatomy and physiology isn't required to graduate with a bachelors degree. How did I make it to 32-years-old without understanding how the body works?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...