Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Urban Rebounding

Last night I went to Urban Rebounding at the 85th & 3rd location. Yes, that's right. I finally moved back to NYC!
I have dabbled in Urban Rebounding before. Roslyn offered it briefly in the winter of 2007/2008, but I guess it wasn't very popular. I went to the class at 63rd & Lex, which is taught by the instructor who created it, JB Burns, a few times last year.
The Urban Rebounder is a mini trampoline. The entire class is taught while on it. You quickly learn the set of exercises, but executing them well is the challenging part. There's the basic bounce, with legs spread shoulder width apart and hands on the hips. The key to bouncing is jumping down, instead of up. Many of the other exercises are moves you'd recognize from step and kickboxing classes. We did step touches, hamstring curls, power squats, high knee runs, and military presses. The difference is that you are constantly bouncing. You can even mock rope. If you think you can mock rope on the ground easily, this will still be a major challenge.
One of the things I have always liked about this class is the use of the quarter turn. The instructors design the routine so that you are doing the same set of exercises at least four times. It's really cool to see the entire room doing the moves while bouncing and moving in a circle.
Yesterday I used handweights during the class for the first time. This makes it more challenging. Last time I tried it, I thought my arms were going to give out, but I've really improved my fitness level over the last year. Urban Rebounding is a great cardio workout that keeps your heart rate up. I think I'm going to make it part of my regular routine.

Urban Rebounding, 85th & 3rd
Monday 7:05pm-7:50pm (abs run over)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...