Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

An Apple a Day (or Four)

I eat at least an apple a day. I think they are the perfect snack because they are 1. delicious, 2. easily portable, and 3. tasty at any time of day. Apples are high in fiber, which keeps you full. This means that the 95 calories you consume from eating a medium-sized apple is going to keep you going longer than if you spent those 95 calories on crackers or chips. Sometimes I slice an apple and spread a Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge (35 calories) onto the slices. My students are impressed that I can do this with a plastic knife. I'm badass, I know.

I like tart apples, so I'm usually a Granny Smith or McIntosh girl. After the Turkey Trot last week, my mother and I stopped at the Jericho Cider Mill and I stocked up on McIntosh for the week, but I also grabbed a few Winesap apples. I tried one today on the drive home from jury duty. I'm talented at eating while driving. You should see what I can do with a container of Greek yogurt at 50 miles an hour. The Winesap is a large, crunchy variety. It has the satisfying consistency of those red apples you used to get at school snack time, but none of that dry, icky taste. Winesap are crisp, tart apples - can we say perfect for afternoon snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...