Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fifth Avenue Mile

Last Saturday I ran the Fifth Avenue Mile. I had never raced a mile. I wasn't sure what to expect.

I had actually been out the night before, but it was a relatively tame evening. A bacon cheeseburger and a beer downtown before meeting a friend for a nightcap. I was home by 1 and in bed by 1:30. It was actually very weird waking up for a race at 8 AM. I jogged over to 80th and Madison to meet T before walking over to 5th.

T and I lined up towards the back of our heat. When it was time to start, I realized that we were behind an Achilles runner. I am very impressed by that entire organization but I think there are safety risks involved during this race. I didn't even realize there was a special needs runner in my direct path until I saw her holding the rope that connects her to her partner. I almost ran her down. I tried not to, like really tried not to, but there wasn't much I could do. This is all before I cross the starting line.

The cool thing about the mile is that you can read the street signs and know exactly where you are. For my readers unfamiliar with New York, each block is one tenth of a mile. We started on 80th Street and finished on 60th. I made it to the low 70s without even realizing it, and once I saw 66th Street I knew I could throw out everything I had.




My official time is 6:15.

1 comment:

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...