Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Post-Rhino Workout

First off, let me say how thankful I am to be able to move my body. I chose to have an optional surgery that will hopefully improve my quality of life, and I knew going into it that I would have to give up some activity for a while. This week has taught me what a gift being able to get out and move around is and I can't imagine the sacrifices our armed forces must make when they are injured while protecting us and go from peak performance to bedridden. I am in no way comparing spending a week in bed watching soap operas after a nose job to the sacrifices of our injured soldiers. What I am saying is that if five days in a bed made me feel the way I did, then I better start doing more for those who are facing much more serious recuperation. One thing I can do is start using Charity Miles more often to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. It kills your battery but I think that's a small sacrifice we can all make.

I've got goals dammit.

This morning I felt like a brand new person. A brand new person whose nose keeps bleeding and can only breathe through her mouth, but at least this person could logically string thoughts together and stay awake for more than 30 minutes at a time. I was up at 7 AM and ready to roll.

I bought myself a Fitbit Flex today. I've been coveting one after spending a weekend in Atlanta with my friend Ryan. Honestly, if he took the dang thing off, I'd have probably stolen it. Ryan uses a combination of MyFitnessPal and Fitbit Flex to track his nutrition and fitness goals. Friday night in the airport I'm teasing him to live a little as I'm sitting there eating chocolate and pistachio gelato and by Sunday, I'm downloading the app and weighing Flex color options. (I went with black.) Ryan's been a good health influence on me since we went to high school together. Senior year, my two hour exercise routine was heavily influenced by Ryan. Granted I ended up semi-expelled and in an eating disorder rehab clinic soon after, but strangely enough, the two are barely related. I digress.


I'm down two pounds of arm muscle. I wasn't eating particularly well this week - some Chinese, a lot of salmon with dill, and some sushi - and walking from York to Park on Friday was the extent of my movement so I'm mad about this loss. Now that I'm back to sitting up for extended periods of time, I am committed to tracking my food intake (I was pretty good for the week before my surgery) and letting my competitive nature run wild with this Fitbit business. Today my new toy was taunting me so I headed out to the backyard for a light workout to get back into the swing of things.


5 rounds of 100 unbroken American KBS at 15#
~60 seconds active rest, i.e. air squats, triangle poses, and alternate arm punching to loosen up my sorry sad tight muscles
followed by 1 mile walk

The Metallica Spodify station is entirely optional but I enjoyed it. The above video highlights my awful videography skills. Clearly I do not need my own YouTube channel, although one day I would like to take over for Chelsea Handler.

dominating this color-coordination thing


My Fitbit Flex tells me I burned 75 calories doing cardio activity today. I'm actually thinking that number might be spot on based on the amount of exertion it took to swing a 15# KB 500 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...