Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Saving Your Hair

One evening I was in the shower with this guy and he tells me that he only shampoos his hair once a week because that's the secret to having great hair even if you workout 5 or more days a week. He then picks up a piece of my hair and tells me I'd benefit from laying off the shampoo too.

He was right.

I shower after every workout. I usually rinse out and condition my hair. I make exceptions if I know I'll be training again that day (morning run and evening CrossFit), going to the beach or pool (my hair is going to get gross anyway), or for some crazy reason I'm somewhere where I don't sweat (Granby, Colorado.) I only shampoo two or three times a week and I have noticed a difference in my split ends and the texture of my hair.

I'm fortunate that I have a lot of hair and it's pretty thick. I can get away with some extra oil a lot longer than someone with thinner, finer hair would. A deep side part ponytail is my go-to for hair that's pushing the boundaries of cleanliness. I try to avoid the messy bun because dirty, messy hair screams "I'm hungover" instead of of "effortless chic."

A fitness addiction can wreck havoc on your looks - bacne, sports bra tans, scraped up shins - but you can save your hair by ditching your shampoo a few times a week. There's a so-called "no poo movement" but I don't trust those people. You need to wash your damn hair eventually.

When I do use shampoo, I like head & shoulders clinical strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...