Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Casein Protein Powder

I bought a 2 lbs container of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein protein powder a few months ago. Casein protein is slow digesting and can provide your body with a steady flow of amino acids for hours, whereas the more popular whey protein is digested more quickly. This makes it ideal for nighttime consumption. I told myself that I'd drink a big casein shake each night before bed and reap the benefits. Slight problem. Turns out that I don't like to drink shakes before bed. I end up feeling more hungry, have trouble falling asleep, and then have to pee like 45 minutes after I fall asleep. No bueno.

120 calories, 1g fat, 3g carbs, 1g sugar, 24g protein per scoop
The casein powder is also pretty gritty and doesn't mix as easily as the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. I found that mixing one scoop of casein and one scoop of whey makes a less clumpy shake and tastes better too. I really like this shake when I train in the morning. I start sipping it on the way to the box, drink most of it during the strength portion of the workout, and finish it on the way home. The mix of fast and slow digesting protein made me feel fuller longer. This might be entirely psychological but I have a tendency to attack food all morning long if I workout in the AM and this shake kept me satiated until lunchtime. And I mean real lunchtime, not the oh wow, it's 11:07, totally time for lunch lunchtime.

I ran out of whey powder a few weeks ago, but I had a bunch of travel lined up and I was concerned that my bodybuilding.com shipment might be picked up by a neighbor so I delayed placing an order. I started drinking casein only shakes until the tub ran out. I wouldn't say they're bad but I'm definitely looking forward to my 5 lbs tub of Extreme Chocolate flavored whey showing up this week.

I used to find it so satisfying to finish a jug of powder, but now I just think about how expensive it is. Eek!

I drink a mocha protein shake every day for breakfast. If I'm training in the morning, I use two scoops. If not, I use one.

Scoop(s) of protein powder. Whey, casein, or both.
2-3 ounces of coffee concentrate
Top off with cold water


I am IN LOVE with Icebox Coffee Cold Brew Concentrate. The company is based out of Alabama and I buy it from my local Whole Foods here in Atlanta. They distribute across the south and also do online orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...