Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, August 19, 2013

I Love Kickboxing

I bought a Groupon for 10 kickboxing classes last May and I decided I should use them before they expired. iLoveKickboxing has a location down the block from my office and I registered for the 7:30 PM class.

I really liked the class. Our instructor Frank was funny and engaging and clearly knew what he was doing. We spent the first 14 minutes warming up with jumping jacks, punches, kicks, burpees, mountain climbers, and bicycles. I found anything plank-like while wearing those gloves to be really rough on my wrists. Stronger wrists will help me in CrossFit so I'm thinking that this is a good supplement to my current routine.


We moved onto partner work and I was paired of with a girl named Francesca. Bless her heart for putting up with me. It takes a moment while for me to get into the rhythm of multiple moves and it was hard trying to transpose the sequence in my mind so I could block Francesca's punches and kicks. I enjoyed it even though I made a ton of mistakes, including foolish things like jabbing from the wrong side. Come on, you'd think after so many years of Yves' classes that I would know these things like second nature.

The bag work was my favorite. We alternated holding onto the bag while our partners performed punches, front kicks, and side kicks. FYI, it hurts to stand on a semi-broken toe while kicking with the other leg. We finished up with push-ups and crunches.

looking skinny

I ended up being talked into buying a 35 class card that allegedly never expires. I didn't really want to spend the money, but I was able to save $150 so I think it was a sensible purchase.

This iLoveKickboxing location does not have a shower so it's definitely a post-work activity.

the women's lockeroom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...