Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

NYCRUNS Lousy T-Shirt Race

A big thank you goes out to Steve and the rest of the great people at NYCRUNS for putting on last night's awesome race. NYCRUNS is a website that connects New York City runners, and is my go-to website for upcoming race information. Steve also sends out a pretty nifty weekly email blast.

Yesterday was NYCRUNS' first race ever. I felt like I was a part of history in the making. The Lousy T-Shirt Race was held on a USATF certified 5K course in Riverside Park, and about one hundred runners showed up for this inaugural event. We got off to a late start because Steve was making sure the volunteers were in the right places. I must admit that the extra waiting around did a number on my nerves, and I began to get antsy. Speaking of numbers - My bib number was 21, which is my lucky number. I knew good things were going to happen when I saw it.

I decided to race in my Vibrams for the very first time. I've been thinking about making the transition for a while, but I've always chickened out. I  worried that if something went terribly wrong, it would haunt me on the New York Road Runners website for eternity. I left my Nike Frees at my parents' house, so my decision was heavily influenced by my desire to avoid my clunky Lunar Glides. Those things suck to race in because they are so heavy. This laid-back race was the perfect opportunity to experiment with quasi-barefoot racing.

The race officially began around 7:30pm. We took off and tackled the worst hill in the first half mile. Some legit runners showed up for the Lousy T-Shirt race and I wanted to keep them in my sight. I didn't wear a watch or carry my phone, and the race didn't have any markers, so I was running blind. As long as I could see those short-shorts ahead, I knew I would be good. Let me tell you, racing in the evening, with humidity and pollen is a lot more difficult than racing on a clear fall morning near the water. I was huffing and puffing right away.

I noticed that I felt lighter in my Vibrams. I found it easier to run, until I thought too much about my form. I had to consciously think about not thinking. The downhills felt awkward out of my traditional running shoes, and I definitely need some practice to become more comfortable with that experience. I wasn't sure if I was landing properly. Highs-stepping the hills was a breeze and I felt like I had a greater range of motion. I have blisters on my feet from wearing flip flops constantly, and I could feel them getting tender towards the end of the race. I think they would've popped had I been running in my Nikes.

The course was beautiful, taking us through and around the park, along the highway and the river. We had to double-back at one point, which threw off everyone's judgement of the distance. We veered off the main path right before the finish line, allowing me to mentally prepare for my beastly finish. I was able to pass a runner that had been in front of me for the entire race, and as I pulled ahead I saw the clock. I could see that it still said 21 minutes. Didn't I say 21 was my lucky number, and that my bib was going to bring good luck? The seconds were still in the twenties. My PR was 21.55 - I could set a new PR! I let out a war whoop and took off, leaping across the finish line at 21.36! I came in 3rd place for women, and shaved off 38 seconds from my last 5K.



Steve announced that NYCRUNS would be hosting a biweekly summer series, every other Wednesday. Get excited for more races!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...