Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Morning on the Greenbelt Trail

Today I returned to the Greenbelt Trail, home of the Greenbelt Trail 50K that kicked my ass last May. I have a sick pair of La Sportiva trail running shoes and two working legs, so it was high time I got back out there.
The Greenbelt Trail
I drove east to Cold Spring Habor this morning and parked by the library. You can access the northern part of the trail from the parking lot that is located on the right side of 25A. After a quick climb, you are overlooking the harbor.

You can see the view of Cold Spring Harbor

The trail heads south and goes to Massapequa. It is cut into sections by different major roads. I decided to the run the portion that goes to Route 108 because it only required me to cross Lawrence Hill Road. I wasn't in the mood to become roadkill this Monday morning.

Nike+ GPS map of my route

Trail running is so different from road running. It takes focus to navigate the tree roots and rocks while ascending and descending along the paths. You have to be aware of where you are going and mindful of the white blazes that mark the trail. It's peaceful and difficult. I was winded after the initial climb, but I soon found my rhythm. I pushed myself today, but I was also sensible. I was surprised by how easily I got back into running the trail even though I hadn't been there in two months. I guess eight solid hours will really acquaint you with an area.

The white blaze that indicates the trail on the right
I attached my Nike+ chip to my trail shoes and tracked my run. I didn't realize that locking the app and then taking pictures would pause the run, so part of my run is missing, but I followed the same trail back. Overall, my run should be about 3.78 miles, and it took me an hour. I can run that distance on road in about thirty minutes. Trail running really is a different sport, and one that I think I enjoy more than road running. The opportunity to run surrounded by trees, plants, animals, and the occasional Chinese hiker is one I am very thankful for. I'm also returning to the Greenbelt Trail 50K in 2012, so I have some serious training to do. This time around, I'll be doing the ass kicking.

I have to practice my descents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...