Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Money Well Spent


WOD:

BARBELL GYMNASTICS
HANG SNATCH
1X3 at 60 percent of 1RM
1X3 at 70 percent of 1RM
3X3 at 75-80 percent of 1RM
3X2 at 85-90 percent of 1RM

You will be given 20 minutes to complete ALL the work, including warm up. Rest 60 seconds between all sets.

CONDITIONING
METCON (TIME)
For time:

40 Burpees
40 Double-Unders
40 Split Jumps

30 Burpees
30 Double-Unders
30 Split Jumps

20 Burpees
20 Double-Unders
20 Split Jumps
15 minute time cap

What Really Happened:

By now you should know that I have a love/hate relationship with the snatch. Sometimes it goes well, and sometimes I end up with a unicorn horn.

the internet is a strange place
This time it went okay. I got 3x2 at 50 lbs but it took many attempts. I got frustrated and told the bar I hated it. Then I had to show it who was boss. (You might think I'm kidding but I am no stranger to inanimate objects.) I'm okay with my performance.

The metcon was on my mind all day because I have recently learned to do doubleunders but I can only do them if I put a singleunder in between. This is a waste of time as you can imagine because the metcon asks for doubleunders, not doubleunders plus security blanket jumps. We were given the option to scale to twice as many singleunders, but I decided that it was time to buck up, shut up, and accept a slower time if I am ever going to master the doubleunder.

It hurt and it sucked. When I got halfway through my 30 burpees, I started to worry that I wouldn't finish in time and then told myself I had to keep going even after the 15 minutes were up. I'm competitive, I like to do things well, but this metcon meant more. It became incredibly important that I finish every single damn doubleunder. I started to lose count so I did more to compensate because there was no way I wasn't meeting the prescribed numbers. It's one of the few times that I've felt like crying at CrossFit. Not because I was sad or particularly upset, but because I honestly put everything I had into finishing. I got through the 20 burpees, I somehow got through the 20 doubleunders and I threw my rope as I went straight into the split jumps. 13:19. And then I spent the next 11 minutes lying on the floor thinking about how the $50 I spent on Punk Rope's Doubles or Nothing Workshop was the best money I'd ever spent.

Two weeks ago I went to CrossFit Limitless in Huntington for the 2 hour workshop. We partnered up, analyzed our singles, our wrist form, and the mistakes holding us back from our doubleunder glory. Then we split into two groups and took turns jumping in the circle. We identified what we thought we needed to work out and everyone else in our group gave us feedback. And that's where I did my first doubleunder. 

courtesy of Punk Rope
Tim and Shana are great instructors and I highly recommend that you take this workshop, whatever your doubleunder ability, if it's available to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...