Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Monday, April 25, 2011

My First NYRR Race

I ran my first NYRR race. After putting it off and putting it off, I finally became a member of the New York Road Runners. It's worth it, because you make back the cost of your membership after two races. I also want to run the New York City Marathon, and the 9+1 system is tough to beat. Basically if you register, run nine races, and then volunteer at one race, you are guaranteed entry into the next year's marathon.

The NYRR 4 Mile (really creative name, huh?) was held on Saturday, April 23th in Central Park. T, the Professor, and I all signed up at the beginning of the month and had many plans for our inaugural race. The Professor decided we should wear tennis whites. T didn't get the memo. So on race day, after waking up at 1:30, 2:30, 4:45, and 5:30, I got out of bed at 6:38 am to eat breakfast and clean my apartment. Of course it was pouring rain, which obviously only happens when I wear white. I had to forgo the cute white tank, but kept the white skort. Although I had collected my bib the day before, it was only at this ungodly hour did I notice that my bib was brown... and my pace was listed as 11:21. "11:21?" I gasped. Surely they couldn't mean 11:21 minutes per mile?  They did.

To spite the obnoxious NYRR volunteers, I went to the back of the line. The way back of the back of the line. And then I smoked them. I finished in 29:21, with a 7:21 pace... only four minutes faster than my bib's claim. Take that NYRR and your typos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...