Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Recovery Runs

I've been reading a lot about running and the science behind running. The recovery run is a short and easy run that is meant to allow your body to recover (clever name, huh?) without sitting on the couch. Runners struggle with the recovery run because it doesn't really feel like you're running. I totally get that. Why do I want to slowly run when I know I can pound the pavement like a beast in search of blood and glory? Well, apparently I want to because it's going to make me a better runner.

Today I set out to run a fartlek, but it quickly became clear that I wasn't feeling a speed workout. I included a few bursts of energy, but I mostly stayed between 8 and 9 minute miles. The stress fracture in my foot started to ache, but I aimed to run 3 miles in under 27 minutes, which I did. I think this is a recovery run, but to be honest, I'm not really sure. I think it would be beneficial to wear my heart rate monitor next time to accurately measure how "easily" I am running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...