Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grounded During Intro to Flight

My most favorite fitness friend is finally back from LA. I'm not pleased that he decided to move out there... at all. So Rylan returned and invited me to attend a yoga workshop focusing on inverted poses with him at Pure Yoga East. I have desperately wanted to be able to do a handstand since last summer. I wouldn't have signed up to go alone, but I figured I could handle a little humiliation with a buddy.

The two-hour workshop, entitled Intro to Flight (red flag anyone?), was taught by Dice Iida-Klein and Briohny Smyth. These two awesomely talented instructors teach at Black Dog Yoga, Yoga Works, amd Equinox gyms in California. They're like Rylan's Yves Maco... he's willing to travel to attend their special classes. Now if instructors are good enough for Rylan, they are good enough for me. Last Spring Rylan convinced me to go to Bikram yoga with him, and while I was uncomfortable and frustrated, I'm glad I went. That's exactly how I feel after this experience.

I could barely do ANY of the poses. I even struggled with the downward dogs. My shoulders were tight from Thursday night's kickboxing class and I was having trouble straightening my arms. If this doesn't tell me I need to consistently practice yoga, I'm not sure what does. Dice and Bri were very patient with me, even though I was a disgrace to my yoga mat, and I learned a lot about balance that I (hopefully) can put into practice at a later date.

Pure Yoga East is a beautiful facility. It's run by the same people who brought us Equinox, however the showers aren't stocked with Khiel's. If you're interested in a yoga studio, check this place out.

Pure Yoga East
86th Street & 3rd Avenue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...