Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
My excessive energy, extreme narcissism, and intense love of neon-colored spandex is both managed and fueled by my addiction to fitness. I push myself to extremes and I push other people's buttons. Obviously I needed my own blog.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Oyster Festival 5K

Maryanne was my babysitter. Now she is a runner.
Today I ran the 28th Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor's 5K. This race kicks off Oyster Bay's annual Oyster Festival, which is our weird way of celebrating where we live. It's a good race and this is my second year competing in it.

Experience brings knowledge and knowledge is power. I learned my lesson last year and made sure I was much closer to the front. The Greater Long Island Running Club doesn't put a starting line mat down and the race officially begins when the gun goes off - if you're stuck behind the slow fatties you're time is affected.

I haven't raced a 5K since June and I was a little nervous today. Would I doing as well as last year? Has marathon training made me slow? I didn't have a good understanding of my pace until I got to the 1 mile sign in 7 minutes and 1 second. I knew the most brutal part of the race would be the run uphill between miles 1 and 2, and I think I handled it well. Another female runner told me to chuck my water bottle because we were running so fast but I told her I had to stay hydrated because I need to run twenty miles sometime today or tomorrow. I also like carrying a water bottle because I don't have to slow down at the aid station at the halfway mark. I ended up tossing it there though anyway.

I've realized that I'm pretty good at running downhill and this would be my strength for this course. The course is downhill from the halfway mark to mile 3. I pounded it out and passed a lot of people. This dick of a guy had been in front of me from the starting line. I noticed him because he was wearing a green racing outfit, blue socks, and red sneakers. Not color-coordinated. He started boxing out this woman named Mary during the run down Sandy Hill Road and that pissed me off. With so much space on this course, there is absolutely no reason to box out another runner. We are a fun bunch and jackass moves are not appreciated. I put him in his place by gently cutting him off, running five strides directly in front of him, and then taking off. He came up to me at the finish line to tell me I did a great job and knew how to handle to downhill portion of the course. Yeah, I do. I also know how to handle myself as a civilized human being, thanks.

This year's race felt a hundred times better than last year's. I turned left onto East Main Street and had a lot of energy left in my legs to power on towards the finish line. I decided to race in my Nike Frees without socks. Not my favorite shoes, but they are lighter than my Brooks Adrenaline's, and shoe weight affects time. I'm glad I went sans socks because my feet didn't rub. I think a lot of runners forgo socks when wearing racing flats, so this was kind of similar. As I got closer to the parking lot and the finish line, I decided to ignore the clock and my watch and just go as fast as I could. I finished in 21:41, fourteen seconds faster than last year!

6:59 minute miles!
Technically I came in 3rd place for my age group, but the overall winner of the race is 25 so I got bumped up to 2nd place. I won a plaque and had my picture taken. I will add the picture when I find it online.
I'm going to put it in my cube at work.
After I stopped hocking up flem and spitting it on myself the ground, I went to get some water and an apple. Then I got a leg message from the physical therapy volunteers. I used to never go over to the massage tables because I was a little embarrassed because I'm not an elite runner or anything, but now I'm obsessed. Why pass up the chance for a free massage when your legs are all tight?
I went back to the food station when I heard there were cupcakes!
Fat kid nation!
My mom and I watched the other runners come in and waited for the awards ceremony to start. Last year I came in second for my age group as well, but I left because I didn't know any better. This race gives awards to practically everybody. Had I identified myself as an Athena runner, I would have won my division by nearly two minutes. Maybe next year, but definitely if there is money involved.

There is a runner in Oyster Bay named Vince who everyone calls The Runner. He is always running in all types of weather. He is also rather cute. Vince placed (I think first) in the 20-24 male category. I think I was more excited for his win than he was. Perhaps he would like to celebrate with me later...

At some point this weekend I have to run those 20 additional miles. I want to go to the Oyster Festival this afternoon so I have a strong suspicion I will be running them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain me and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...